Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Being a Good Ally

SuperBetter All-Star

13 out of 13 members found this post helpful.

Tips for Being a Good Ally

Hey there everyone!

I'm writing to share some of the things I learned while being an Ally.

First, there is no "minimum requirement" for effort. Simply being an ally for someone you love is a great start. Your Hero needs to know that people are there for them and they are loved. Talking to your Hero on a regular basis is very important. Send them text messages, emails, call them, meet them for coffee--whatever it is-- to check on their progress. This way you can lend support if they are flagging or congratulate them on a job well done.

Second, if you don't already then do a little research on the problems your Hero is facing. This may involve just asking them to talk about their problem (which can tie into the above suggestion) or doing some internet research on a medical condition they might be suffering from.

Third, try to think of quests they can do to help reach their goals. Known one knows your Hero as well as you and your fellow Allies. So you are in a great position to suggest tailor made quests. Plus, once he/she completes these quests you will feel good knowing you put them that much closer to their goal.

Fourth, don't overdo it. Like I said at the beginning of this post, you don't need to be committing 100% of your time to being an Ally. So don't feel bad if you aren't "doing enough" because there is no such thing as "doing enough". Just being an Ally is extremely helpful and important. Do what you can, when you can.

Above all else, be there for your Hero! He or she is struggling to overcome something major in their lives and what they need most of all are supportive and loving friends and family to get them through this.

New to the hero world

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
    This is helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Snellopy

9 out of 9 members found this post helpful.
    I was having a blast with Superbetter just as a single-player game, and figured that since Superbetter has been on national TV over in the States that by now trolls, griefers and /b/tards might be running amok, so I didn't really see the point of looking for allies at first. Then I realised that was a defeatist attitude and sent out a couple of PMs on the forums.

I grabbed one insanely excellent ally and we've done a wonderful job of being each other's cheer-leader. Then I snagged a second ally and he's also top notch. I hit the jackpot I guess. But what made this alliance even better, is that serendipitously my two allies hooked up at about the same time as I added my second one. So we've got our own little Justice League sort of thing going on. It's great, especially since we're scrawling all over each other’s activity streams with questions and comments. So no matter whose page I'm looking at, I see the same names popping up, being encouraging and getting encouraged. We’re also commenting on our own activities, to give more information about what we’ve just done or why we won or lost. This all definitely helps, too, to get a handle on what bogeymen we're smacking around, and to flesh out the victories.

So if you're like I was originally thinking that you're having an awesome time on Superbetter and you don't need anyone else, give getting some allies a shot - you might find out that it is even awesomer.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
    Snellopy, I've had the same experience. It can be very helpful to have a cluster of allies who are working on similar things. (It's certainly not necessary, though. My experience with stand-alone allies has bee awesome as well.) You're also dead on about making good use of activity streams to stay connected, and it makes a big difference when people add comments to expand the context of, say, a loss to a bad guy. After seeing how helpful it was when an ally did this, I've started to do it too. Ditto for adding descriptions to quests, bad guys, and power ups when you add them. I don't think these actions are as important if your allies are friends who know your back story and see you in your regular life, but they're crucial if you're working with people you've met online.

Glad you're enjoying your SB experience!
    Kingfisher Fire
    '

New to the hero world lyzaking13's Avatar

Ok, I have a question: how do you make quests for you allies? They made quests for me and it was so fun and challenging! How do you do that?

thanks

Lynnette
    best to you!
    lyza

New to the hero world lyzaking13's Avatar

I figured it out! Happy Monday people,
    lynnette
    best to you!
    lyza

Super Moderator

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I think there's one other thing that can be helpful with allies, that is, roughly the same level of involvement. It certainly isn't a requirement, one of my allies, an old friend, and I touch base here maybe once a month.

But the allies I spend the most time on, and they are most involved with me/my efforts are two people who are both "regulars" on SB. We're all here, almost every day.

I have 2 others I ally that I haven't seen/talked to on SB for months. One of them is my cousin, and we communicate otherwise. The 2nd is someone who joined, went great guns, and hasn't been heard from since. For those who're rarely here, I post a note, about weekly, that says "You're missed!" or some variation. I don't mind their absence, as I'm here anyway. But if I was creating quests for them, trying to be actively involved daily, and they weren't here, it'd be frustrating.

Judi

Sannse

Oooh... this is really good stuff that would make a great page on the wiki. I'll try and summarize the advice people have come up with, and then post the link here.

This is also making me think again about whether I should add new allies. So far, I've just added people I know IRL, maybe I should think again...

New to the hero world

I am new to the SB world and am not sure how to award my hero. Any suggestions would be welcomed

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Hi Mercymom, and welcome! I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. If it's about the mechanics of achievements, you go to the achievements section of your hero's page and fill out the boxes on the right hand side. If the question is about what kinds of things to award achievements and how to go about it, well, I suspect that there are a lot of different answers. (And more importantly, no right one!)

Speaking for myself, I award achievements for all sorts of things and for all sorts of reasons. Today, for instance, I awarded an achievement to a hero who had been silent and/or minimally engaged for a couple of weeks. Today she was back in force, recording everything, and I gave her a "Back with a bang" achievement. Another hero has dengue fever but has continued to work toward his epic win. He tends to be pretty hard on himself and I knew he might be feeling bad that he isn't able to do as much as usual, so I gave him an achievement highlighting the fact that he has continued to make progress, which is both impressive and inspirational.

The "mood" of the achievement varies, but I tend to keep with the game aspect and have fun with the names. The more you get to know your heroes, the easier it is to award achievements. Similarly, the more you award achievements the easier it is to recognize opportunities for them, so just dive in!

I'm interested to hear how others go about awarding achievements. Sannse, time to warm up the Wiki!
    Last edited by realsiri; 11-27-2012 at 07:12 PM.